Boat Hosts are needed to take the Bigs and Smalls out on Lake Norman for a day of fun. Please read over the information below and if you decide that you would like to be a Boat Host, please fill out the form below. Here are some of the rules and information on being a Boat Host.
- No alcohol prior to or during the event on July 21, 2018.
- Provide life vests for your Big Brother(s)/Big Sister(s) and the Little(s)
- Please, no personal watercraft
- Travel to The Explorium is by land only. Duke Energy discourages docking for this event.
- The next formal communication with Boat Hosts will come 7-10 days before the event, providing contact information for the Big Brother/Big Sister and information about the “Little.”
- The Big Brother/Big Sister—think ‘built-in chaperone’—will be emailed your contact info
- The next step is for the Boat Host and Big(s) to get in touch with each other to discuss the location of the Boat Host place of departure and any other information that may be helpful to ensure a successful morning of fun.
- We recommend that you get in touch with your Big Brother/Sister immediately after receiving the contact information, to introduce yourself and provide directions to your launch spot.
- Visit www.bigdayatthelake.com and our Facebook page to learn more about the organization, the picnic, weather, and sponsors.
On the day of the event, July 21, you can expect the following:
From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- The Big Brother/Sister and their “Little” will drive to the place of departure, a home or marina, for the purpose of enjoying the water with the Boat Host family.
- The children enjoy swimming, fishing, tubing and other water activities a child would normally enjoy.
- Boat Hosts often pack snacks and juice to carry on the boat to enjoy while on the water.
- You may want to invite friends and neighbors to signup and enjoy BDATL together. Some Boat Hosts coordinate raft-ups for group fun.
- The Big Brothers Big Sisters organization will obtain participation waivers for each child participating in the event on the 20th.
- Boat Hosts should plan to leave for the Duke Energy Explorium on Highway 73, in time for the picnic activities at 1 pm.
- Because of the complexities of the event, there is no official rain date.
- It’s often best for the Big Brother/Sister and Little to drive their own vehicle to the Explorium. Chances are adults will be worn out when the picnic is over! This way you can go your separate ways if you wish.
1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Picnic at the Duke Energy Explorium: Food, games, waterslide, fellowship
Directions to McGuire Nuclear Station
From Charlotte I-77
Take I-77 to Hwy. 73 (exit 25). West on Hwy. 73 (toward Birkdale Village). Go approximately five miles to the stoplight at McGuire Nuclear Station. The Energy Explorium is just past Southlake Christian Academy. Turn right into the plant entrance. Stay in the right lane and follow signs to the Energy Explorium.
Take I-485 to Hwy.16 (exit 16). West toward Newton. Exit east onto Hwy. 73 toward Huntersville. Go approximately five miles to the stoplight at McGuire Nuclear Station. Turn left into the plant entrance. Stay in the right lane and follow signs to the Energy Explorium.
From Mooresville I-77
Take I-77 south towards Huntersville to exit 25. Turn right off the interstate ramp and follow Hwy. 73 west approximately five miles. The Energy Explorium is just past Southlake Christian Academy. Turn right at the stoplight for McGuire Nuclear Station and follow signs to the Energy Explorium.
From Charlotte Hwy. 16
Take Hwy. 16 North towards Denver. Take the Hwy. 73 exit and turn right off interstate ramp. Follow Hwy. 73 towards Huntersville. You will pass Cowans Ford Dam on your left and the next stoplight you come to will be the McGuire Nuclear Station entrance. Turn left into McGuire and follow signs to the Energy Explorium.